Thursday, January 14, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy!

As I created my "to-do" list this morning I could not believe how busy I am. I can almost say I'm busier than I was when I was working full time.

When my oldest son started kindergarten in August, 2008 - my type A personality and organized ways weren't enough. I was forgetting things and could not stay organized or on top of things. Anyone who is type A knows this is very, very, very unsettling.

Fast forward 6 months and I find out my job has been eliminated. I have become a statistic. After weeks of crying and wondering why me, I thought "Wow. Everything happens for a reason. Let's go with this and see what happens."

After wanting to work after college, and doing so for over 13 years, I never thought I would want to stay home (I did) and I never thought I would enjoy it (I do!).

I began networking right away for some freelancing work and got a few small jobs. After enjoying the summer with my boys, I looked into starting my own official consulting company (http://www.flynncreativegroup.com/).

Then came the PTA.

Yep, you heard me right. I joined the PTA. Casually at first. Then I helped plan the Halloween party. Now I am planning the Carnival. This week I just volunteered to take over the monthly newsletter beginning in March and for next year! Wow. Could I get any busier? Of course I can!

In October, my son joined Cub Scouts. There are so many first grade boys who keep joining that we have to split into another group. Yep, you guessed it - I am co-leading that new group! Just when I thought I was too busy to do anything else. But you know what, it's for my son. I want him to enjoy it and get the most he can out of it and if I need to lead the group to help him do that then that's what I need to do!

If we turned back time and went back 2 years and you told me this is how my life was going to be in January 2010 I would have told you that you were CRAZY. No way would I have ever guessed this is what I would be doing - and ENJOYING every minute of it! And I know if you asked any of my friends (or family for that matter) they would have never pegged me to be the stay at home mom kind. But I think I am proving everyone wrong! And that makes it a beautiful day :)

2 comments:

  1. ...and of course, don't forget you will be parent volunteer at our HUGE Auntie B's Daycare Picture Day on Monday, Feb.15th.....lol. Seriously dear, I'm enjoying your sharings...to some degree I feel like I'm experiencing them with you! Brian and Patrick are so very blessed to have you as mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate!!I think this is just a preview of busy. Wait until Patrick starts kindergarten.
    I've come to the conclusion that this my life and I love it too!
    You will so appreciate vacations!LOL!

    ReplyDelete